Summer is winding down for me – I’ll be moving into my dorm and starting the adventure that is college very soon! So I wanted to take a moment to share with you my five favorite moments of this summer.
1. Grad Party/End-of-Year Bonfire. Every year, my sister and I host a bonfire to bid farewell to another school year gone by. In other words – we burn all the notes and homework that stressed us out for the whole year and roast marshmallows over it with a group of our best friends. It’s glorious. This year was especially fantastic – it was finally my last year of high school, and my friends and I were able to enjoy one last full-blown shindig before going our separate ways. In addition, relatives came over earlier that day to help me celebrate and the entire day was simply a success!
2. Back-to-school/Dorm Shopping. Because I’m a total dweeb, I’ve always loved back-to-school shopping! By now, I’m a little shopped-out (after getting all the necessary school supplies, text books, clothes, and dorm furnishings and supplies) but I had a weird amount of fun doing this shopping. It makes me excited for what’s coming, I get to stand in the midst of organization/office supplies for long periods of time, and it just gives me a feeling of productivity to get prepared. Who doesn’t like all of that?
3. Trip to Nashville. I love to travel and when I got the chance to cling to my sister (who had legitimate, professional obligations in Nashville) and roam around Nashville for a couple of days with my mother (as my sister was fulfilling said legitimate, professional obligations), well what can I say? I seized the day! We visited Cheekwood Botanical Garden (AKA: the most fascinating place ever, the most beautiful estate ever, my dream house), the Tennessee State Museum (where we spent a VERY long time on just one very interesting exhibit, leaving little time for much else!), and various yummy restaurants! And fear not – my mom and I were true to our dweeby selves, sitting in Centennial Park enjoying the weather and a few books for quite some time! I had lots of fun!
4. Concerts. Don’t tell the others, but I think this is actually my favorite! In one week, I had the pleasure of going to TWO concerts! I couldn’t help but think ‘this is what it feels like to be a cool person‘ constantly. First, was the long-anticipated Gary Clark Jr concert (he gets his own tag on this post because seriously this meant so much to me). It was fantastic. The concert exceeded my already impossibly high expectations. My ears were still ringing when one of my best friends offered her extra ticket to the Walk the Moon/Fitz and the Tantrums/Twenty-One Pilots/Panic! at the Disco concert. That, too, was a total blast. I’m so glad I got to go to both of these concerts and I will never, ever forget these memories!
5. Cardinals game. Every summer, my family goes to Cardinals games. We’re big baseball fans and I always look forward to spending an afternoon or evening at Busch Stadium watching the greatest team play the greatest game. This will always go on any list of summer highlights or favorite memories – it’s a classic!
Although I have spent a good portion of my summer around the house, watching Netflix or oversleeping, I am pretty pleased with how I’ve spent my break. I like relaxing and staying in sometimes. And I like going out with friends and family, listening to great music, watching a great game, or just hanging out. All of it was worth my time, honestly. I can’t think of a better way to say goodbye to the same ol’, same ol’ and hello to whatever is heading my way.
Thanks for reading. Tell me about your summer in the comments below!